Celebrate Flag Day
Celebrate the birthday of Philadelphia's Civic Flag every March 27th!
 
TheSealofPhiladelphia The Seal of Philadelphia(1874)

The seal was adopted by City Council on Feb. 14, 1874. Its centerpiece is a shield displaying a ship under full sail at the bottom and a plow above.

The ship was the symbol of the Free Society of Traders, a London business organization that promoted the colony of Pennsylvania (and gave its name to Society Hill). The vessel also represents commerce. The plow is the symbol that WIlliam Penn assigned to Chester County. It is also a general heraldic symbol for agriculture, which was very important in the settlement and history of Pennsylvania.

Two Female figures flank the shield. The one on the left wears an olive garland and holds a scroll inscribed with an anchor. The garland signifies peace, and the anchor also signifies hope. The figure on the right holds a cornucopia, symbolizing abundance.

Above the shield appears a bent arm holding the scales of justice and mercy, and below is a macaronic phrase containing the greek and latin words Philadelphia Maneto - "Let Brotherly Love Continue". The words come from the New Testament - Hebrews 13:1 - and are said to have been uttered by the last of the Penns visiting Philadelphia in the 19th century.

The seal's blue and gold are the city's colors. Blue the color of the heavens, stands for aspiration. Gold signifies high worth.



Philly Pride Gallery

1999 - Spring Garden Millenium Project

In 1999 students and staff from Benjamin Franklin High School and The Philly Pride Lady volunteered their time to help Spring Garden Street "live up to its name for the new millennium." Together they cleaned, weeded, and planted Philly Yellow daffodils in the center medians from Broad Street to 6th Street - 2 miles! PPL supplied all materials, arranged transportation via Hazel Green, and made all the necessary arrangements with the powers that be, i.e. Street Dept., to make this extensive civic pride initiative possible. In 2000, the efforts were awarded with the FIRST ADOPT-A-HIGHWAY SIGN within Center City! Three times a year, from 1999 to 2011 the students, staff and PPL maintained the medians. The B.F.H.S. JROTC began helping PPL in 2004 under the FLAG-TASTC command of Master Guns Sgt. Andrew Worley! We are happy to report that as of December 2011 Spring Garden Street will be transformed into a GREENWAY with funding from the state of PA. We like to think that our constant devotion to this neglected major street in Philadelphia showed its potential and that we truly help to live up to its name for future generations! PFCP APPLAUDES THE GREAT CIVIC ENGAGEMENT OF THESE STUDENTS AND STAFF.....too many names to list - over 400 kids in the past decade! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! BRAVO!!!!